This final part of David’s Jewish History overview series explores the biblical period, from Avraham to the Jewish return to Zion after the Babylonian exile. The talk covers:
- the patriarchs and matriarchs
- the Egyptian exile and the going out of Egypt
- the settling of the land and the period of the judges
- the period of the kings
- the rise of the prophets of Israel
- the division of the united kingdom of Judah into northern and southern kingdoms
- the destruction of the northern kingdom, Israel, by the Assyrian Empire
- the destruction of Judah, the southern kingdom, and the temple in Jerusalem by the Babylonian Empire
- the 70-year Babylonian exile
- the return to Zion and the rebuilding of the temple.
David examines this period through a historical lens. He also provides content and thematic overviews of the books of the Hebrew Bible.
This is the fourth part of David’s six-part series, an edited version of a live talk given in 2020 for Chabad South Africa and Daminyan Shule in Melbourne.