This second instalment of David’s series on the Trei Asar, the twelve “minor” prophets, explores the lives and books of:
- Ovadiah (Obadiah),
- Yonah (Jonah), and
David examines the historical contexts of all three prophets and how they are reflected in the texts. He also discusses the key themes in these three prophetic books, including:
- national and individual teshuvah
- the destruction of the Kingdom of Israel
- false prophets and prophecy
- Edom and its spiritual and geo-historical connections
- destinations of exile
- messianic visions
- the importance of ethical and just behaviour.
In exploring these themes, David also delves into the words of these prophets. He examines, line-by-line, some of the key passages of the books and reveals the remarkable power and substance of these fundamental sacred works.