David provides a remarkable historical overview of the origins of Kabbalah through the emergence of its early fundamental texts. The series explores numerous questions regarding the development of Kabbalah:
- What are the key kabbalistic books to have shaped our understanding of Jewish mysticism?
- When did they appear?
- And what were the profound ideas they contributed which would shape our understanding of the mystical dimensions of heaven and earth?
This first lecture in the series examines three early kabbalistic texts:
- Sefer Yetzirah,
- Sefer Bahir, and
- Sha’arei Orah
and discusses numerous ideas, including:
- The creation of the universe,
- Attributes of the sefirot,
- Divine interaction with the world,
- The divine flow of energy and wisdom,
- Cosmic time,
- The reincarnation of soul,
- Divine male and female imagistic symbols, and
- The patriarchs and other figures from the Bible as representations of Divine attributes.
David maps out the timeframe and locations of the development of Kabbalah through Jewish History. He explains the context of the evolution of Jewish mystical thinking, its influences, impacts, and legacy.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:05:57 — 56.8MB)
Continue reading “#102 A Kabbalistic Journey Through Time (1)”